Putnam C. Smith, Partner
Attorney Putnam C. Smith represents Main Street business owners and executives, professionals of all types and local, regional and national real estate investors, developers and operators, concentrating on business and commercial real estate transactions and tax and estate planning. Common transactions include start-ups, acquisitions and sales of closely held business, tax-free mergers and reorganizations, asset purchases, leveraged buyouts and joint ventures and partnerships in a wide range of industries.
He has practiced corporate law in Atlanta and the surrounding metropolitan area since 1988, initially with Nall & Miller, LLP and later with Robert W. Fisher, P.C., a tax boutique that was instrumental in the creation of Nextel and a number of international ventures in the telecommunications industry before disbanding in 1994. Before attending law school, he incorporated Jimmy Carter’s 1976 presidential campaign and worked as a legal assistant with other leading Atlanta law firms, including King & Spalding, LLP and Kilpatrick Stockton, LLP, gaining invaluable experience with public corporations and investment banks.
During his tenure with Lipscomb, Johnson, Sleister, Dailey & Smith, LLP, Mr. Smith has handled private equity investments in shopping centers and industrial and commercial property in several southeastern states, land assemblages requiring services ranging from quiet title actions to road closures and a $116 million buyout to resolve a shareholder's dispute involving a closely held technology business.
- Georgia, 1988
- Master of Laws in Tax, Emory University School of Law
- J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law
- B.A., cum laude, Williams College
- Diploma, cum laude, Taft School
- Treasurer, Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit, 2009 to present
- Senior Warden, Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit, 2005 to 2007
- Vestryman, Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit, 2004 to 2006
- Assistant Scoutmaster, BSA Troop 525, Loganville, Georgia 1998 to 2006
- Member, Georgia State Service Council, American Red Cross, 1999 to 2004
- Member, Younger Law Alumni Board, University of Georgia School of Law, 1998 to 2000
- Member, Walton County Commission on Children and Youth, 1994 to 1999
- Senior Warden, St. Alban's Episcopal Church, 1998 to 1999
- Vestryman and Treasurer, St. Alban's Episcopal Church, 1993 to 1998.
- Walton County Comprehensive Plan Task Force, 1991 to 1992; 1996 to 1997
- Chairman, Walton County Red Cross, 1989 to 1994